Nos. 38-40 Church Street, North Side

The original building, fronting the street, is-a timber- framed range of 17th century date and once a single house. It was originally plastered over but the plaster has now been removed to expose the timbers and has revealed the original carpenter's marks. The house was evidently restored in 1738 for there used to be a decorative roundel on the front which read R. K. 1738. This has been removed. All the doors and windows are 19th century but the positionings of some of the original windows can be identified. In the early 19th century a large block was added to the rear probably when the house was divided into three tenements. (RCHM)